Friday, 6 August 2010

Hiroshima Day and my Japanese teacup.

It is the 65th anniversary of the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  One can't help but feel sad about such an awful event (and wonder how much we have learned)  but it has also made me remember my favourite Japanese teacup.
About ten years ago,  I lost almost all of my possessions and I was sad.  It's no problem now,  and one of the first items that I found that began to change my attitude to my "things" again was a tiny teacup that I bought in a second hand shop in Nuriootpa.  It cost me 50c for the cup and 50c for the saucer...
It has a gold line around the edge of the saucer and the cup,  and the dark line is a very deep blue.  It is a little bit mis-shapen and you can see that it doesn't sit exactly straight in the dip of the saucer,  it is tiny, and it has a lovely shaped handle...  and it is lovely to drink tea out of.
I found another one at a different shop some time later.  It would have matched,  but it cost more than $10 and I didn't have enough money to buy it.
I wondered where it had come from and eventually discovered that the lack of any mark on the bottom of such a cup and its poor quality might indicate that it was made in wartime Japan, or immediately afterwards... at the time when Japanese goods were considered to be of poor quality.   It is no longer the case, and Japanese porcelain is very well made and elegant nowadays.  There is still something very "friendly" and nice about this mis-formed little cup and saucer.
Since then,  I have found a few more such cups and saucers and even some plates.  A friend found some beautiful "cheap and old" cups and saucers as well.  The designs are interesting.  Perhaps I'll show some more one of these days.
Today though,  the mention of Hiroshima brought my special cup to mind.

No comments: