Saturday, 28 August 2010

Mt Gambier

The conference in Mt Gambier ran for two days... Thursday and Friday of the past week.  I had planned long ago to attend... the papers about road construction and maintenance,  sustainable development, water re-use and the use of native plants in landscaping had a lot to offer.  Despite long term planning, I could only attend for one day as I had to get back to Adelaide for another meeting....  however, the first day was wonderful (I have yet to write my report for council.)  After that day's proceedings, and before we went on to dinner, one of our staff who used to live in Mt Gambier gave us a quick tour of the town....
Thhis is not the Blue lake.  This is called "Brown's Lake" ... not because of it's colour,  but it is named after  a person called Mr Brown, apparently.  There are a number of these deep fresh water lakes around Mt Gambier, and, coming from Kapunda where surface water is rare,  I was impressed!  (There is no picture of the Blue Lake because it was raining so heavily as I peered from the car window to see it...   too hard!
At the spot where I looked over Brown's Lake,  this statue (made from the ubiquitous local limestone) was right there.  This limestone is cut in rectangular building blocks from a quarry and many buildings are made from it.  It is a beautiful stone and it's hardly surprising that artists use it for sculptures.
Then it was on to one of the "sink holes that has been transformed into a garden...   as  we arrived at the spot,  the rain reduced to a mere sprinkle and I went to see what was there....  limestone carving again, of course and huge trees...  these are really amazing...  it's wonderful what 25 inches of rain each year will do!  (Mt Gambier was in the purple patch of my geography book in primary school,  and that meant 25 inches of rain!)
Huge logs were carved into seats....
... and then I found the sink hole....
Apparently there used to be more water down there and there was a pond that was big enough for a rowing boat.  These days,  there is a wonderful garden...
I didn't walk all of the way down...  the rain became rather heavy!  I'd like to see it in the summer!
More carved logs as seating and lilies all over the place....
Olive trees here grow tall and elegantly, rather than the stumpy and bushy specimens that we see here... I almost didn't recognise them...  except for the olive style stumps...
More and more carved logs....
... with lilies....
... amazing....
... seating all over the place....
... all too we to sit on.  Back to the car!
I really like Mt Gambier, and I'd love to see it in the warm weather :-)

No comments: