Wednesday, 11 August 2010

Vegetables, a new heater and rain... what else could one want?

How lucky!  Yesterday I described how I had tied the broad beans up ready for the wind, and today,   here it is.... strong and gusty winds and some rain.
I went out to find some vegetables for dinner tonight...
...  only one egg! and a few potatoes, cabbage, carrots, fennel and some assorted herbs.  I'll get some leeks later.  I have extra potatoes from the weekend too...
I still have quite a few eggs from previous days, so either it will be "eggs and vegetables"  for dinner, some kind of pasta with a sauce made from my bottled tomatoes from last summer  or soup... there is always soup!
On the way inside,  I picked some lavender...  it's French lavender from my herb patch.
While I was outside,  my new heater was installed in the living room.  It took me about 10 minutes to light it after the installers left....
... it doesn't quite suite the marble mantle piece,  but it is lovely,  nevertheless.  I haven't actually cleaned the hearth or the floor yet either,  but at last the fire is alight.  It is raining, or I'd take a picture of the flue coming out of the top of the chimney.
Now to clean up the living room and spend some time by the fire...  among other things.

5 comments:

nick said...

your new fire looks great!
Lucky!

Jane said...

It is, and it is lovely and warm in the living room... Chris and Andrew are enjoying it as we speak :-)

Jamaal Milner said...

It is true that even though it didn’t suit the marble mantle, it still looked fine. Just look on the bright side of things, you have a furnace that will help you keep your body warm, especially on cold rainy days. Well, I hope that you found a way to let your furnace be suitable with the marble mantle piece. Why not paint it with a color that would complement with the piece.

Jane said...

You are right, of course, Jamaal. And I am now quite used to the look of my fire place. That was a couple of years ago now. (Time seems to go quickly.)
The fireplace has been a great success, the garden is productive and life is good.

Jane

Darryl Iorio said...

Hey Jane! How’s the furnace? I hope it’s still working properly because the winter cold can be quite harsh. Well, even with just simple maintenance, a furnace can run at its best for a long time! You should replace the air filter; remove the dust and debris; and lastly, see if there is any stuff broken inside the furnace. By doing that, you can prevent problems in the long run.