Thursday, 5 August 2010

Winter garden

In recent busy days,  I have been out raiding the vegetable patch for dinner daily,   overlooking the weeds and making my way through the jungle of food....
... there is food all over the place....
...  you'd never starve here!

The cabbages are lovely now.  After eating broccoli until it "came out of our ears" we now have cabbages in abundance.  This is how it is when you "grow your own" despite successive plantings and distributing seedlings into different micro-climates around the yard.  There are some advantages to this though,  and I've described before the pleasure of waiting for the season for particular fruits or vegetables.
We'll be eating fresh cabbages... and these are the sweetest ones I know... but waiting for the  broad beans....
This is the last lot of beans that I planted,  the four rows by the shed.  They were the first to flower... probably because they are nice and warm on the north side of the galvanised iron wall of the shed.
Most have been these black and white flowers as usual....
... except for this lovely one that has produced purplish red flowers.

The coriander that I planted at the beginning of the winter is flowering too... very pale pink.
I'll try to collect some seeds from this patch for next winter.
The new crop of coriander is up as well.  This may well go straight to seed when the warm weather and longer days arrive,  but we'll enjoy it while we can.

In the "herb garden" the jonquils are wild!  The lavender is the Australian variety,  Sidonie. Leaves on the left of the picture are mustard.  I planted this to compete with the sour sobs that used to grow here,  and it has worked.  Apparently mustard is also a "soil steriliser" and seems to rid the ground of pests.  I want to see whether the earthworms are there once this patch is finished.  I am always apprehensive about anything that rids the soil of living organisms as it might just get rid of the earthworms as well.
More jonquils... the garden is filled with perfumed air at the moment.

Here is yet another variety of jonquils with creamy outer petals and yellow centre.
The borage sontinues to flower.   I planted it in a protected spot when I found a plant not long before the cold weather.  I was sure that it would be rather the worse for wear during the winter,  but it appears to be thriving...
... and beside it is the jalapeno plant still producing tiny peppers...
... but this is the most amazing of all.  Despite several frosts in the open spaces in the yard,   this sweet pepper (capsicum) plant struggles on and is still producing tiny capsicums...
... I have tied it up to prevent wind damage,  and if it survives the winter, I'll prune and feed it and see how soon we are back into sweet peppers again as well.

4 comments:

Jane said...

I just looked back through this post and I really like the broad bean flowers... they are so under-appreciated.

Anonymous said...

your photos are great! your garden looks like a vast field of possibilities. I like your blog.

nick said...

that last comment was from me nick c.

Jane said...

Thanks Nick,
It has more and more possibilities (and vegetables) all the time.