Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Broad beans in our dinner tonight

This week is busy.  It was bound to be, with the close of nominations for local government elections, council and Carer's Link meetings and a garden that has been ignored.  I have lodged my nomination papers for the election and the ballot paper draw was held yesterday.  I will be at the top of the ballot paper, though with voluntary, postal voting,  the "donkey vote" is minimal.
In my council area,  there have been two women elected members during the last council session.  This year, 2010, is the "year of women in local government"  and so I'd hoped that the number of women in our government would increase.  The other woman on our council is elected uuopposed in her ward.  I will be running against four men for three places in our ward, and in the other wards there are no women candidates at all.  Interesting times!

Meanwhile,  despite my lack of attention,  the garden continues to produce food.  The cold weather that e continue to have seems to slow things down, though the advantage to this is the slower earwigs as well... and the continued production of broad bean flowers.
Here is some broccoli, a cabbage and broad beans!!!
We have also just passed the equinox, when the sun "crosses the equator" on its way south (in fact,  the sun stays just where it is, while the earth goes around it and the tilt on the axis makes it appear as though the sun is travelling south...  being "earth-centric" I imagine the sun doing the moving.
From now on,  the sun will be more intense in the Southern hemisphere rather than in the north... and the chickens seem most effected by this. (I think that people and their moods are affected as well.) Several of the chickens have been laying eggs daily for a few weeks,  but this week,  we are back up to about  6 or 7 eggs per day.  We do have 10 hens,  though some of them are quite old (for chickens) now and probably not laying eggs any more.  I see them as "superannuated workers" whose needs are minimal and who I do feel some obligation to... after so many eggs in the past.
This could launch me into a whole other topic about retirees and the cost of supporting them...  I don't think that it is their lack of ability to take care of themselves for the most part...  (and I know that some people DO need assistance) but the lack of buying "stuff" which is what  it takes to "grow the economy" is the basic objection of "big business" to that lack of consumption... but how much "stuff" can one person accumulate, store, dust and care for?

In that basket of vegetables are the first broad beans (still tiny) that I have managed to get into the kitchen (rather than eating them straight from the bush.)
These will go into the dinner tonight.
Previously I have described the anticipation of seasonal foods (and it's interesting to see that the first three broad beans were picked in August last year.)  ...and it's that
I have written previously...
"These produce at the same time as the broad beans and I can't wait to dig out my "artichoke and broad bean" recipes here and here andhere.  It's interesting that these are "traditional" Greek or Italian recipes... places where these vegetables grow well and those Greek and Italian women (for I'll bet it was women who were cooking the "rustic" or "traditional"  dishes) worked out how to use the harvest efficiently."
.... and it's that the way it is when the first seasonal vegetables start to mature. There's not enough for a whole meal of any particular ingredient,  but it's good to incorporate the variety of edible bits and pieces that appear in the garden at the same time.  This combination of ingredients (and therefore nutrients) might even be good for the eater...  by making sure that we aren't missing any vitamins or minerals either.

No comments: