Thursday, 23 September 2010

Ladybirds

Ladybirds are good for my garden,  They eat aphids and whenever there are lots of ladybirds,  I don't get any aphids.  I did see some aphids on the sickly looking capsicum plants earlier in the spring,  but there isn't much damage.... yet....
I was so happy to see the first ladybird in the garden today.
It was sitting on this salvia plant today.  There is actually another one in the background that I hadn't seen when I photographed it. (If you increase the size of the picture, you should see it.)
Here is a close-up of that particular ladybird....
Then I saw another....
.... and a couple contemplating copulation....
Altogether I found five ladybirds on this salvia.

The salvia is a Californian grey sage and it is about to flower.
I looked everywhere... at every plant that is flowering or getting close to it,  and at all of the other salvias that are in my garden...  no other plants had any ladybirds that I could find.  Apparently they really like this particular sage plant.

I have concentrated on "food plants"  over the past several years and only since I have enough fresh food to eat without leaving the garden,  I have begun to plant more herbs and even flowers!  And this Salvia leucophylla is one of those additions.  When I planted this particular specimen,  I accidently broke a piece off of the side of it.  Of course I immediately stuck that piece into my polystyrene box of soil and look at this....
... it has sprouted leaves (and I hope it has healthy roots) and I will have another ladybird home....  and perhaps less and less aphids.

No comments: