Tuesday, 14 September 2010

More rain and a dark sky...

During the night, last night, we had a lot of rain.  At one time, the rain was heavy and I could hear the dripping onto the top of the ceiling in the bedroom.  A little disconcerting, but I thought about the people who are washed out of their houses by the floods in Pakistan over the past few weeks and really couldn't take that dripping very seriously.   I'm sure that there are any number of people in the world who would think tha they lived in absolute luxury to find themselves, warm in bed with a steady dripping on the ceiling above.  
I couldn't wait to check the rain guage this morning.  The funny thing is that as I lifted the meassuring cylinder out of its place,  I couldn't believe it...  22.5 mm.  It rare to get so much in 24 hours,  but this means that we've had nearly 100 mm so far this month and nearly 300 mm for the year.  (Our annual average is about 480 mm.)
The tanks have been overflowing.  We can have showers that are as long as we like for the moment.  Luxury!  I have a slight feeling of unease in the back of my mind that I might wish that I'd spent the money that I'd saved on another 9000 litres of storage rather than a slow combustion heater for the living room.  The heater has made quite a difference too,  but I know I may well have some second thoughts in the summer if we have no rain at all for very many months.
By lunch time the sun was shining...
... but there are clouds aaround.  Notice the yellow bucket of fertiliser, always ready and the hoop ready for shadecloth in the summer.

I went to find the baby broad beans...
... I can't wait now,  for them to be big enough to pick for dinner.  As I poked around, looking for these, I could smell the distinctive "broad bean" aroma.

The tomato plants are in pots.  I want to push them into flowering sooner, rather than later, so I am constraining their roots, stressing the plants, so that they panic and try to produce offspring before they die.  In fact,  I'll transplant them into the soil before that happens, but it will make them produce tomatoes sooner, rather than later.
This one is already flowering....  all we need now is some sunny, warm weather.


We still have plenty to eat....
... swedes, fennel, lettuce, and all kinds of leafy green stuff.

One of the new potato patches....
.... there are actually two rows of potatoes here. The left hand one is going well, though the right hand row is barely poking through.  These were tow different types of potatoes,  but they were planted at the same time in exactly the same way.  I wonder which will be the best for my garden.

As I poked around in the garden, the clouds darkened....
... the dark sky is all grey and cloudy.  The whipper-snipped area is looking better today.

I can even find some hidden bulbs.... tulips....

and hyacinths....
(ignore the weeds.)

No comments: