Thursday, 30 September 2010

Salvias and my birdbath

I have been out cutting weeds today, and it looks as though my pathways are grassy lawn... at least in the photographs...  in fact,  the weeds are pretty messy though it is easier to walk to the clothes line now...
I have been weeding the garden patches too.... and it is looking healthy enough...
... here the sugar beet is about ten times the size of the beetroot in a tiny row on the left....
... you might have to enlarge the picture even to see the beetroot, though the sugar beet is quite good.

Today I went to the nursery to get a couple of specific plants that I knew were there Salvia gregii and Salvia scabra that I knew were there.  I had seen them a few days ago,  but I had to wait until pension day.  While I was there, I also found an interesting plant among the herbs (I always look there.)
In the middle of this patch is a tall, slightly yellowish salvia....
... this is chia...  it's called Salvia rhyacophylla here   (also known as S. hispanica.)
This is a native of the Southwastern US and Mexico.  "The word chia is derived from the Nahuatl word chian, meaning oily." (Wikipedia)
I can't wait to see how it grows and how it tastes.  I now have a whole collection of Salvias, some are here....
... ane there is a whole other patch that is hidden by some mustard plants that are about 2 metres tall!  (More of that patch another day.)  But this is the patch from the "clothes line" side.  
On the lhs,  is the potato patch (that Jonathon thought looked like a grave) and the rest is mostly food of one sort or another.  The basket on the little table has the dinner vegetables in it.
My other extravagance for the day was a bird bath....
...  I've been admiring this one for some months,   and I was worried that someone else might take it.


And here is tonight's dinner....
... a handful of broad beans, some carrots,  beetroot (we'll eat the tops too) and eggs.  

No comments: