Thursday, 21 October 2010

Powdery mildew on the zucchinis


It has been a busy week, but, along with the various meetings that I've been to, I have kept an eye on the garden and picked a lot of broad beans each morning... enough to eat them daily and to freeze some for later (they are good for making a version of risotto that is more like risi e bisi, though it should more correctly be called risi e fave.
The zucchini have the tiny beginnings of female flowers with tiny fruits in different shapes...  the long green "normal" zucchinis...
 ... and the little round yellow version.... yellow squash...
 What I did notice yesterday morning though was the beginnings of powdery mildew on the leaves of just one plant....

I have sprayed leaves like this with milk in the past,  and it works really well.   In the past I have used a hand spray bottle from the supermarket.  These are pretty hard on my hands and they don't last long... I have usually used several each summer when spraying for this as they break down during the season.
Some months ago,  I received a gift from the Fiskars company that included this Hozelock Garden Sprayer....
When I first saw it, I wondered how complicated it was, and how easy it would be to use.... after my little spray bottle, it certainly looked a lot more complicated...  but  I put it together and gave it a try....
it is absolutely fabulous!  and I have no hesitation in recommending it for the kind of spraying that I do...  I have used it a couple of times now... for this and for spraying foliage with a weak solution of a foliar fertiliser and my trusty stinging nettle fertiliser, though I needed to strain the fertiliser through cloth to use it in the sprayer...  it worked well.  I like using it.

Next on to the potato plants... this is the newly planted patch this year.  On the left are pontiac and on the right are coliban.  The pontiac came up really quickly and the coliban took weeks longer to appear above the ground,  By now, the two rows are not very different,  until you look closely....
 ... the "moth-eaten" leaves are the pontiac variety and the uneaten ones are coliban... right together and I am certain that this is earwig damage (I've been out in the dark and found them at it.)

On Tuesday, as a representative of Carer's Link in the Barossa,  I went to Kadina... about two hours drive away.  I sat in the back of the car on the way,  and on a shortcut between the Main North Road and the Port Wakefield Road,  we came across a flock of sheep being moved between paddocks,  not an unusual sight around here....
 .... the dog was working hard, and the shepherd was riding his quad bike....

Back in the garden this morning,  it has been a lovely warm day and there are flowers everywhere....
...here is rue....
....  coriander...... 



















....Chinese broccoli  that I grew from seeds about eight or nine months ago.  I'm letting it go to seed again so that I'll have some more to plant before next winter...

...kale... also grown from seed that I collected earlier in the year...
It's amazing to see the variety of butterflies, hover flies, lady birds and bees that are spending their days in the garden now.

And last but not least,  the broad beans are producing so much now that we just can't keep up...
... and they are beautiful plants too.

No comments: