Saturday, 27 November 2010

The pond, so far.

My house guests for the past couple of weeks have done a huge amount of work in my garden.  The first project, which wwe had discussed before they arrived was the pond.  I had a piece of black "dam liner" plastic that was intended for the purpose.  I had bought it as a deal when the local hardware shop had got it especially for a customer that had changed their mind, leaving the dam liner piece at the shop.  I got a good deal,  so I bought it some time ago.  It measures 5.7m by 8m. That didn't mean much to me until we actually tried it in the hole.  This makes a really large pond!
It has had water in it for more than a week, and a small amount of plant material. I bought one white flowering lily a week ago and it haas produced two new leaves already...
 Today Chris and I went out to find some fish for it.  I have been checking for mosquito larvae,  but haven't seen any yet.   We went out to the Light River and caught some tadpoles and some gambusia (feral "mosquito" fish) to put in there...  there's some algae and some daphnia, beetles and a few odd things in there...  hopefully it will begin to be more like a pond than a plastic lined ditch pretty soon. I went out a while aga to try to see the fish (they are only small and I couldn't find them)  but I did see a tadpole that is almost a frog...
The picture is pretty awful,  but the little frog is still in the water and sitting on the bottom... hard to see, but all four legs are there!

Around the yard....
... more lilies and plenty of vegetables.

No comments: