Tuesday, 23 November 2010

That was a week and a half!

Last week, some family arrived from California.  They arrived on a rainy Adelaide morning, tired but happy...
Fiona had decided to run "up the hill" to give me a hug.... and so she did...


We drove home via the new freeway and the Thiele Highway... about an hour and a half.  On the way home,  I learned that I had not been returned to our local council.  My bicycle will not be bparked in the foyer during meetings from now on....


It has been a busy week, building a pond (more about this later) and waiting for the chickens to hatch.  I can finally add photographs of them, after paying for more storage with google.
Here are a couple of very new chicks and another just getting out of the egg....

By day 3 they are all out and about.  The nest is not at ground level, so I have transferred them to the ground with a bale of pea straw...  there are several foster mothers involved...
 I had some rolled oats that had acquired a population of moths and their larvae.  I have given it to the chickens as it's easy to break up and learn to peck from the ground....

This morning is the second day of a "hot spell" and it should be well over 35C later in the afternoon.  I have been out covering some of the garden with shade cloth again...

I did this last year also, and it still reminds me of a tent....  one of those pieced together ones from National Geographic photographs of Bedouin households.
Underneath, the plants are much safer from the sun...
... the leaves that are still out in the direct sunshine just can't keep up  with the evaporation/transpiration rate.

On a happier note... the lilies are about to flower.  Even as these huge, sculptural buds,  they are amazing to see.


And so here I am,  back with the photographs, after paying $5 to google ($5.06A) which will also cost about $2 to convert to US currency... crazy!

No comments: