Sunday, 5 December 2010

Cosmos, spider breakfast and ladybird lessons

The first cosmos flower is out...  
 ... I planted seeds of these some months ago, mainly because they are "easy care" don't worry too much about a lack of water  or nutrients,  and are beautiful to bring inside for a vase on the kitchen table.

The eggplants are beginning to flower also... and with this hot weather and plenty of rain,  I'm hoping for a good crop this year.

 I went out to check on the spiders this morning.  I could only ind one,  but he/she was eating breakfast... it's a fly....

... and later, a clearer picture of that spider...

I have also been looking for the different kinds of ladybirds after yesterday's discovery.  I had a much better look at the "regular ladybirds" in the garden and I think that they are Coccinella transversalis


The other one that I found yesterday looks a bit different shape.  It was still on the same zucchini plant this morning...

  though I was able to get a more accurate picture of it when it fell onto the ground...
 ... and now I think it is probably a leaf beetle...  Phyllocharis sp.   sp perhaps I still have jsut the one kind of ladybird, the Coccinella transversalis,  but I'll be watching.














No comments: