Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Hot weather is coming

We have had a cool and wet start to the summer, but it appears that it might be over.   The prediction for the next several days is for 40C+ days.  I"ll need to protect the vegetables from the weather... the heat... this could be interesting... or at least a lot of work.

Today I picked another basket of vegetables and collected some eggs...
... and then I drew them....  yellow and green zucchini and a few beans....
 ... and went out to see how the rest of the garden was going.

My Christmas present plant, a Magnolia grandifolia (var Little Gem) was out in the sun.  I have re-potted it into a bigger pot because I don't want to plant it put in to the garden until rain is reliable... next May/June.  Today,  with the hot weather,  I moved it inside, to the back verandah....
 ... but already,  by about 11 am,  it was hot enough to burn some leaves....
...  but one of the buds had almost come out....
.... and the perfume is wonderful!  I have had a tree like this in a previous backyard and I have been wishing for one for years.  One day,  I hope to plant it near my pond.

Dinner tonight consisted of vegetables picked today, eggs  and some of the 8 pounds of potatoes that I dug out of the garden yesterday....
...  all good,

The next few days are supposed to be very hot.  Adelaide is expecting temperatures up to 43C (110F) and it is always just a bit hotter here.  I don't have a thermometer, but I probably don't need one...  i'll be busy with garden shadecloth, goat care and an eveaporating pond.

No comments: