Friday, 21 January 2011

Bird antics

Yesterday was very hot, very dry and there was some breeze as well.  Along with the rest of us, the birds all kept their heads down for the day.
This morning was cool and relatively humid... it was a lovely morning.  I took Gertrude out of her pen to graze, tethered at the clothes line, before breakfast... not that I was out so very early.  On my way back from the clothes line, I saw a bird come from the north, straight towards the chimney where there was a thud, a drop (like a stone) and a disappearing peregrine falcon.  I recognised the falcon because I'd seen one here previously.  That one was sitting quietly staring at my apparent invasion of its position under the kurrajong tree.  The staring eyes on that occasion were quite disconcerting.
This time, whether it  saw me or not,  it mis-judged its prey and the pigeon fell to the house roof.  Within less than a minute, as I stood there amazed, it came back around to fly above the lost prey.  I didn't ever see it land, and I still haven't been up there to see whether there is a dead pigeon.  I should think that the pigeon was lucky this time.  And there may well be a hungry peregrine chick out there somewhere.

Later in the morning I was watching the honey eaters dive in  and out of the pond.   These are so hard to photograph.  This is the blurry shadow of a white plumed honeyeater taking off from the water...
 ....  the water level is low after a couple of hot days and significant evaporation, and so the birds don't have access to their shallow edge.

There have been Murray magpies (magpie larks) wattle birds and parrots, but I was able, finally, to photograph these rosellas...   they sat on the side drinking until this one jumped right in....
... then further down...
 .... a turn.....
 ... and  then up and around to the bushes on the side....
It's like a circus to watch and very hard to photograph!
It has been a day of bird antics.

No comments: