Monday, 31 January 2011

Heat wave

We have escaped any really hot weather so far this summer....  plenty of 30C+ days,  but this week has brought the first days that are regualarly around 45C  (more than 110F) for any length of time.
the "hot weather vegetables" beginning to produce...  eggplants...
... capsicums...
... and a couple of self-sown amaranth plants are doing well.

With the really hot days,  I have covers over much of the yard....
... and these lace covers work really well.  (Curtains and table cloths from garage sales and second hand shops.)  I go out to check on the covering every couple of hours, epecially if there is any wind at all.  Today there is a hot dry wind,  but last time I went outside, one of the tomato plants had lost some of its shelter....
... and its tomatoes are brown and cooked, despite not being ripe yet!


Gertrude was outside early.  She has been pruning the vegetation around the pathway at the end of the yard....  and a good job she is doing too!
Still tethered,  but she really doesn't seem to mind.  She certainly knows now that when I "fiddle around" with the rope,  she gets to follow me around.  She walks like a puppy on a leash.

Here she is eating the dry grass (she likes any that still ahs seeds on it) and you can see how fat she is getting!  Either she is eating very well, or she is expecting a kid.


I went over the check on the chickens.  The young ones still "cheep" rather than use adult tones, but they are getting quite big.  I have been trying to work out which ones might have tell-tale tail feathers... that would make them ideal them for "rooster soup".
There are nine "young ones" and about the same number of "old hens" though not all of those still lay.  We get anything from 3 to 6 eggs a day lately.
Gertrude saw me sitting by the chickens....

 She came to check out my camera...

As the sun came further over towards the middle of the sky,  I decided to move her back to her pen...
 .... she often rubs her sides along the wire of her fence.   Funny sight!

This afternoon, despite the heat,  I am cooking spaghetti sauce in bulk.  I'll be able to bottle it tomorrow or the day after, ready for the winter.  It would be useful if the spaghetti sauce ingredients were ripe and ready to go in the cooler weather. I look rather silly collecting wood for the stove when people pass by the gate.







No comments: