Monday, 24 January 2011

Heron, turtle dove and more.

Today has been another bird day!
I watered the garden early this morning.  I have some new small plants and the weather has been very dry.  We haven't had the very hot days that we can get in summer, but even with this La Nina year,  we don't seem to be getting much rain.  After a couple on inches of rain in mid December,  we have only had 9mm (less than half an inch) this month.  I have tranferred about 9000 litres of water into the "house tank" so far, and we are ok for a few more weeks, but we need some more rain.
The temperature has been about 30-35C most days, but with some strategic shading and intermittent watering, I am still picking enough vegetables for us to eat...  mostly tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini and capsicums, potatoes, and an assortment of "greens".

The birds are really enjoying my pond.  This morning I saw a white-faced heron right beside the water.  I have seen one in our yard before, but this was right in view of the kitchen sink!  I didn't have my camera at the ready,  but it looks like this...
(from my "Simpson and Day" bird book) and about 60-70 cm tall.

Later, after the assortment of honeyeaters had finished,  I saw a couple of young blackbirds (feral... there is one on the rhs of this picture....
....  on the lhs is a spotted turtledove.  
I tried to get a better photograph of it....
... but it hide in the shade at the edge of the pond.  (Not surprising after the appearance of the peregrine falcon the other day!
While I always have water out for birds, especially in the hottest weather,  I am surprised at the number and variety of birds that collect here daily.

1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I'm glad all that digging was worthwhile. Looks lie the edges need some more cover though.