Saturday, 1 January 2011

New year's day 2011

After the hot and windy end to the year,  it was good to wake up to a cool breeze coming through the bedroom window... rather than the blast furnace air that was coming in last evening.   I was woken by the last of the crazy drivers doing burnouts in our street at 5 am...  the smell of burning rubber in the air.
  
The birds sounded extra enthusiastic... perhaps they liked the cool damp morning air as well.  I went out to investigate the damage to the garden...  having watered late lat night, I wondered how well it might have recovered.

The first thing I found,  in the back verandah, was the next magnolia flower....
 ... and its associated perfumed air.

I let Gertie out of her pen, tethered her to the clothes line where she can get plenty of her favourite flowers (especially jasmine) while I checked out the vegetable patches.  I cut a lot of leaves from the zucchinis... those that were most burned by yesterday's weather.  They are flowering profusely a if to make up for the "day off" yesterday...
 ... the nasturtium leaves are cooked, though I think the plants will recover....
... and the tomatoes look as though they should recover.  The soft tips of each branch are crispy, though the shade seems to have preserved most of the leaves....
 The bonus out of all of this is the dried seeds are nearly ready to collect...  these are silver beet (Swiss chard) seeds....

As I was checking for damage, I also found these new cactus flowers (more perfume!)... I had to climb up on my outdoor "tree" seat to take this photograph....
 ... watched by Gertie, still with a mouthful of thistles...

While there is quite a bit of damage from the heat, and more so from the wind, the garden looks remarkably luxurious ....
 ....  from the front, bay leaves, salvias, rose geranium, orange lily;  tomatoes, oregano and more salvias;  goatshed, tree seat and aloes;  and cactus flowers behind....

... and yet another lily has emerged this morning as well!

I picked these flowers (below) for inside....  bergamot....
... beautiful.

No comments: