Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Goatherding

Gertrude has been out around the yard again today.  She grazes various patches of weeds most days and today she had a whole new patch.  She has discovered the fruits of the "itchy trees" that have been flowering lately.  In reading about this species, I have discovered that it is not, in fact, a native though it has naturalised in our area.
Anyway,  she loves the furry half-formed fruits that are abundant around here...
 I had left her outside (checking on her regularly) for the morning, but eventually heard her calling and went out to rescue her.  All that she wanted was to go home...
 I tried to take a photograph as she ran through my vegetable gardens towards her pen, but she was definitely on a mission....
 .... pheeewww.... home again....
         and with a piece of an olive tree....
 She does this every day.  She can't wait to get home again and then she lies down in the sun if it's cool weather or in the shade if it's not.  Contented goat!

Meanwhile the new brassicas are growing, and we will be able to eat in May-June.... here are a few zucchini plants, and broccoli, cabbages, cauliflowers....
... and as I walked back to the house, I noticed that my tiny curry leaf tree is flowering...
.... if it makes it through this summer, then I think it will be ok.
The garden has been taking care of itself lately...  I'm picking enough to keep us fed, but as the soil dries out (we didn't get any of the flooding rain that has been around most of Australia in recent weeks) and I reduce the area that I'm watering, we now have less and less fresh vegetables.  I am glad that I preserved and froze plenty of the winter excess last year.
Posting has been intermittent lately because I've been painting and there are still only 24 hours in a day.

No comments: