Saturday, 12 March 2011

Baby vegetable plants, flowers and neighbours

I've been busy during the week,  but today I've been out to see what is growing...
....  and this is the newest crop that I've planted... mangel worzel, and so far it's growing well.
There are severl rows of the earliest winter vegetables doing well now...
....  chinese broccoli, kale, carrots, golden beets and chioggia beetroot...  there'll be more of these sorts of crops to be planted yet,  but these early ones will be useful in May/June.
One problem with early brassicas is cabbage moths....  
.... this plant is well chewed...
... by these little caterpillars that grow very big very quickly as they chew holes in these leaves.  I have usually picked the eggs off from under the leaves,  but, being busy, this crop are being attacked.  I'll be back to picking them off this week.
The recent rain is also making downy mildew hard to control.  This plant is still producing but not for long... in fact, they won't produce for much longer anyway.


The garden is still producing...
... eggplants...
.... capsicums...
... tomatoes, which I pick while still a bit green....
and leafy greens...
.... amaranth....  the vegetable that peopl in India use to supply vitamin A, making the GE "yellow rice" unneccessary.

There is another surprise...  my snail creeper is finally flowering... the perfume is lovely...
... and you can see why they are called "snail" creepers here...
There are plenty more flowers to watch...

I went out to the art studio today and there were some more neighbours...

.
... (photos for Fiona.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But plant spa is when I take the trouble to bring more plants in for the benefit of humidity. flowering trees