Friday, 18 March 2011

Back in the garden

After several days away from the garden and Gertrude,  I have had the chance to give her some more weeds and this morning I have been out getting ready for the new season crops.  
We are still eating a few summer foods (tomatoes, eggplants, capsicum and kale) and we have an assortment of food from last winter in the freezer...  we are doing well.

This week, potatoes have emerged from last year's plot.  I must have missed quite a few!  They are sprouting now and will no doubt provide us with another few meals...
I had planned to plant garlic here this year...  It doesn't need to ba planted until June,   so I'll wait and see...

The newest garden bed is one that I've assembled from part of last year's huge and productive patch,  but I think it will be easier to manage in the new format... not to mention that the rows will be nearly "north-south" rather than "east-west" where I need to think about which rows might shade others.
 Meanwhile, the next winter patch of Chinese broccoli, kale, carrots and beets are slowly doing their thing....
 The "Chinese greens"  advertised as being fast to produce and doing well.  These are only a couple of weeks old and doing well with their goat poo...
 Mangel worzel plants look like silver beet and other beet plants and are also growing fast on the goat poo...  perhaps it's Gertrude's skills.
I have decided that in my garden of one acre,  a goat is one of the best weed control/fertiliser producing assets.  I will be looking for a milk producer soon.

No comments: