Friday, 11 March 2011

Gertrude's weed patch, one week on...

I've been at work for the past three days while Gertrude has been working away on her weed patch...
... you can see the stubble patch in the foreground.  She has eaten all of the green leafy weeds and also all of the tops from the dried grassy stuff as well.  I'm hoping that many of the seeds have been well digested though Gertrude arrived a bit late in the season this year... we'll see.

We have plenty of feral olive trees here too.  Gertrude rather likes these as well....  Currently, the olives are growing but still very "green" (they won't be ready to pick until December.)
Gertrude is very selective about her food... and she's very good at picking olives....
These could serve as "before and after" pictures, though in fact, the "before" picture is merely high enough to be out of her reach.
She also eats kurrajong leaves....
... and I've seen her standing on two legs to reach up to these tasty bits.    (The pieces of construction up in the tree are the remains of the tree-house built by Nick and Jon some years ago.)

My apologies for this becoming a "Gertrude blog" but she is really interesting.

Meanwhile the garden is doing well after about an inch of rain in the past week or so.  The leafy greens and brassicas are all doing well.  I'm still picking a few green peppers, zucchinis, tomatoes and kale.
I am also reorganising some of the garden beds for the winter... so that they are easier to maintain.  I had one large garden bed with "duck boards" across it last year,  but I'm dividing it into four separate beds, making it easier to manage.  The beds are "raised style" beds, mainly because as I add organic material, gypsum, chook poo and as the clay becomes lighter, the volume of soil increases and the garden beds end up being "raised" through no real plan of mine.  Clay is easy to manage in this way and doesn't even need retaining walls to keep it in... though sometimes I use bricks to confine same areas.  Bricks (un-mortared) seem to be good for this as I can move them, as needed, to weed the edges of the garden.  I don't trust Gertrude near the vege patch!

No comments: