Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Trip to Burra

On Sunday,  I drove to Burra to pick up a painting that I had left there.  It was a hot day, so I borrowed a car to drive there (mine is old an overheats in hot weather... it also has no air-conditioning or a radio.)  

And so I went to Burra...
My plan was to detour on the way home, to Burra Gorge, also known as "World's End Gorge",  as I wanted some photographs and notes for a painting.  It is a beautiful area...  huge trees (river red gum)...
 ... and amazing locusts....

 ....  I spent quite  a while scrubbing and hosing these off when I got home!

There are lonely spots out there too....
 .... and incredible development.

There are plans to build even more wind farms out there too.  The carbon that is embedded in the infrastructure of the windmills is only the beginning...
... these windmills are huge and have huge volumes of concrete in the hill beneath them.  But it doesn't stop there.   The infrastructure required to take the electricity produced to the cities is unbelievable...
 ... and in the other direction....
... and while it isn't the best photograph, if you enlarge it,  you'll see those steel structures going off in all directions...  I began to count them... and there must be close to one hundred that you can see on a clear day...  just north of Robertstown.  The windfarms have caused incredible division in the local communities, but when you see what has happened,  it's not surprising.

I drove there and back,  collected my painting and enjoyed the landscape.



No comments: