Thursday, 14 April 2011

The end of summer, and the winter plantings....

The summer vegetables are coming to an end.  I picked enough for dinner tonight...
 .... beans, zucchini, capsicums tomatoes, jalapenos and eggs.  I certainly wouldn't starve as long as I had a garden.
At this time of the year, the summer production is slowing down, but I've been planting fairly regularly... these are the first "post summer" plantings of chinese broccoli, kale, carrots, beetroot and some golden beets....
 After those, I planted the mangel worzel and those are growing well too.  They are another silver beet relative and those vegetables seem to like it here.
 Chinese "greens"....
 .... these must be healthy because they have a few little holes in the leaves...  if the bugs survive,  then I suppose that I will also.

The first "normal" broccoli is doing well,  though I have had to pick white moth eggs off these plants almost daily.
 I still have a few zucchini,  though instead of picking enough to thicken the soup and freeze the rest,  I am getting just a few every couple of days.

And on to the bigger "winter" vegetable patches....  here is fennel, beetroot and lettuce....
 ...cabbages, broccoli and celery....
 .... onions, carrots and peas....
In order to eat every week, one needs to plant something every week.

No comments: