Saturday, 2 April 2011

Ripe quinces

Quinces grow very well in Kapunda.  They don't mind the hot dry weather in the summer, the clay soil or the soggy winter ground.  The quinces on our little tree are ripening now...
 The birds are enjoying them also....
 This week  I'll pick most of them and make some paste.  I have bottled them in the past, and they turn out to be a lovely colour...
 I have made jam with them too, but this year it will be paste.  Maggie Beer makes a beautiful example of this and so I think I'll try it also.  Apparently Maggie Beer was first attracted to the quince via the flowering tree, and I can well imagine that.  Quince trees look beautiful when they are in flower.

This morning I mowed the weeds around the trees.  I can't call it a lawn, but it definitely looks much better now....

The salt bush is fruiting too....

 The oregano is "taking off" after recent rain...
 ...and a couple of garlic bulbs that I missed are sprouting....

I'm expecting colder weather soon, so I have my hoops ready to cover with plastic for the eggplants and capsicum...  they might not produce much more,  but the plants may make it through the winter and I'll be ahead when next spring arrives...

Snail creeper...  beautiful perfume....

One of my favourite roses....  not one of the ones with multiple row of complicated petal arrangements... but very beautiful....
 .... and these produce amazing rose hips as well....  a bonus....

No comments: