Monday, 16 May 2011

First frost

It has been a cold morning.  The temperature was around 4 or 5C early this morning.  It's a sunny day though and warm in the sun... no wind, no rain and beautiful sunshine.
The garden is looking healthy....
.... though some of the potato plants, most notably the ones lowest to the ground were just frosted enough to turn some leaves dead looking.... 
 As I checked out the potate plants, I saw a mouse run away and hide among the border rocks.  I'll be looking carefully at the potatoes as I dig them.  We are in the middle of a "mouse plague" and they are everywhere... inside and out.

The garlic is mostly up....
 ... three rows, and a few extras, and not all weeded.  I'm leaving the peas that grow (from the pea straw mulch) because surely these will produce a little extra nitrogen, that should benefit the soil and the plants, as long as they aren't too close to the garlic.  I've been pulling out the grass and the sour sobs (oxalis) to help the baby garlic plants.  I'll give them some seaweed fertiliser later also.

And of course the mangel worzel.  This one seems to be producing its bulb  partly above the soil. The roots are very yellow....
 ... and apparently grow quite large without getting tough or woody.

This is the leafy part of the saffron plants that I picked the flowers (and the spice) from in recent days.  Someone actually asked me about the leaves...  they are very grass-like though rather more clumped....
It's a good day to be out in the garden, soaking up the sun.

No comments: