Sunday, 29 May 2011

Vegetables, our changing circumstances and carbon tax

This morning I planted some more broad beans.  I also picked some vegetables for dinner....
... just a few bits and pieces, but enough for this household.

I've been thinking about the current discussion about carbon tax and the effect of our emissions on the climate.  Most people accept that the increasing carbon in the atmosphere will cause significant change in the climate in the future, if it hasn't begun to already.   To  those few who don't think that this is a fact,  I'd even suggest that erring on the side of caution until we do understand what is happening might be the  prudent course of action.
Once we have got that far, there needs to be a way of reducing the production of atmospheric carbon, and depite that,  the only discussion about the "carbon tax" is about how to introduce it without having any effect on either "poor people"  or industry.   This seems strange.  The whole point about this is to reduce the amount of electricity (or any other carbon source) and to make sure that the tax has no effect at all will not change behaviour.
If the tax (or whatever other measures are taken) are remedied enough to make them have no effect,  then we are talking about "business as usual" and no change in modern industrial society and the consequent continuation in carbon emissions, climate emergency and risking the furure of our children and grandchildren.
While I am preparing to manage with little money, "commercial" input and in a relatively sustainable way for the future, I despair when I read of the attitudes that assume that our way of life (dependent upon the 200 slaves that represent the amount of energy that we use.)   I wonder when the wealthy of the world (and my pension puts me in the top 13% of incomes in the world) will decide to reduce their consumption and their emissions rather than complain about the increase in taxation.
Our way of life is going to change.  I suppose it is up to all of us (the wealthy) whether it is sooner,  managed and livable rather than later, more uncomfortable and chaotic.

No comments: