Thursday, 21 July 2011

Mangel worzel for tea

Today has provided the first sunny afternoon on which I don't have to work, meet or run errands, and so I have mowed about quarter of an acre of winter weeds and winter grasses.  There's more to do, and I'm hoping for a few more sunny days... even if the mornings are cold.  (We had a frost this morning!)
I have also raided the garden for dinner....
... potatoes, broccoli side shoots, silver beet and my first mangel worzel.  This one is quite large, and they do grow much bigger than this, apparently without becoming tough or floury.  I just couldn't wait any longer.  They are related to the other beet-type vegetables, and the seeds even looked like silver beet (chard) seeds, so I'll be using the green leafy bits as well.
I just want to find out what they are like and decide whether to plant another crop in the spring.  All of these vegetables have grown during the winter, but should be much faster to mature in the summer.

Later:  The cooked mangel worzel looks quite plain....
... this shows the pale "beetroot" part and the leaves from the same plant.
Altogether, with a small piece of meat each, we also had....
.... mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli side shoots.  (The original plants are still producing.)

No comments: