Saturday, 23 July 2011

Potatoes

I have mentioned previously that I plant some vegetables at the 'wrong" time because, with the increasingly variable weather it's hard to guess just which ones might do well in any particular season.  Once again, this year I planted potatoes that would grow during the winter.  The summer is often too hot and dry to grow them very well without significant irrigation.  (I have heard that potatoes need an inch of rain per week!)

In the past few days, we have had one of the coldest nights ever for this area... there was ice on the ground in the morning and the bird bath water was frozen solid!  It had been below zero during the night!

Of course, my first thought was the garden.   The only vegetables that seem to be damaged are the potatoes.  By this morning, the plants were all burned and lying flat on the ground.  I have been out digging the potatoes.
There are about 5 kilograms (10 pounds) and so I consider that putting the left over small potatoes from the summer crop into the newest potato patch (along with a wheelbarrow full of goat bedding/poo produced by Gertrude.)

I have also collected some green vegetables and a few carrots, and a cabbage and four eggs.

Tonight we should have potato pancakes with fried cabbage and an assortment of other vegetables.

No comments: