Wednesday, 17 August 2011

August showers and longer days bring flowers...

It has been very cold and wet.  We have even had a little bit of hail during the day.  Overnight, last night, we had 11.5mm of rain, and the tanks are almost full.... 37,000 litres!

I have already commented on the broad bean flowers, but every year, they are one of those garden produce that I await with enthusiasm.  And as I have often written before, eating "in season" makes the pleasure of those items that aren't available all year round all the more enjoyable when they appear.  The excitement of seeing the first flowers on these plants is more than just a photo opportunity.
 I went out (between showers) to check the vegetable patches as usual, and found flowers of all sorts... my garden plants seem to understand the change on day lengths.....  coriander.....
 ..... rue.... I still love the smell of this whenever I brush past it... though I know that some people find it an unpleasant odour....
 .... the "rocket" (arugula) that is self sown near the fruit trees is flowering already.  We ate some of this earlier, though once it flowers, like many brassicas, the taste changes and it isn't so nice any more.
 .... the "Asian greens" have begun to flower....  many of the plants are still looking edible, but they're probably on borrowed time.
 .... even this cabbage is trying to flower.....
 .... and my favourite calendula, those with the "buddhist monk' colours are flowering beautifully.
It is the time of the year when I anticipate the new spring plantings.  I'm beginning to work out just which plants will go where and which patches of soil are most appropriate for my various vegetable plantings.  Peter Cundall's admonitions concerning crop rotations have been well heeded and I'm busy planning the garden and its outcomes, our meals, daily.

No comments: