Sunday, 4 September 2011

Broad beans 2011

I've been out looking for signs of the new season's crop of broad beans.  The plants have been flowering for a while, but the weather hasn't  been quite warm enough for beans to form.  This morning I found the first tiny beans...
... admittedly, one does have to look carefully, but they are there.
This is when the advantages of seasonal eating are particularly good.  I've written about this previously,  and I still think it's wonderful to have the novelty of fresh new vegetables each season.
The trick now is to decide how large to allow them to grow before the first taste.  Eventually I'll try just one, I'm sure while it is too tiny to be worthwhile at all.

2 comments:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

Broad Beans 2011...sounds like a band tour.

Jane said...

Mmm.... need to form a band, I guess.