Sunday, 11 September 2011

Food garden & bird behaviour

I have been out looking for the birds that are nesting in the gum tree again today.  I finally saw one of them,   but more of that later.  I planted some more early vegetables, and as I dug the garden, I found another few potatoes...  quite big ones....  I don't know how I missed them!
Then I went for a walk around to see what else was out there to eat....  it's not ready yet,  but the next broccoli crop is looking good....
 ... and of course there is still quite a few mangel worzels.....
 ... and I am learning to use them more and more.  They are a lot like beetroot (except for the colour) and they are easier to cook with their skins on in the same way as bbetroot.  I skin them afterwards, and put butter on them.  Next I want to try roasting them.
There is always parsley (and silverbeet) so no need to go without our green vegetables....

Just the other day, I was thrilled to see the first broad bean flower.  Now they are all over the place....
 .... and I have seen some tiny beans....  these are about an inch long....
 With tiny beans appearing,  it's also time to look at the artichokes as they seem to be available at the same time....
 Once again, the recipes for this combination of vegetables come from Greece, Italy and Morrocco where the climate must be similar to ours.

Kale... and this is the most beautiful one..... beautiful colours.... and the cabbage moths don't lay their eggs on these lacy leaves as often as on the plainer leaves.  I suppose they think that the leaves look too moth-eaten to be worth adding more babies to.  Interesting camouflage!

The garlic crop is growing better this year than usual...  I planted it in the same way and it has had the same time to grow... though this lot got goat poo!
 Gertrude is very clever!

I did finally see one of the rosellas.....
 ... looking in at the hole in the tree.   It leaned right in, as if it might be feeding the bird that is sitting on any eggs.  I'll have to find out about the breeding behaviour of rosellas....
The bird leans right in, but never seems to "change places" with the one that is there.

No comments: