Thursday, 1 September 2011

Rosellas in spring....

I've been watching a Rosella nest hole in one of the trees in my yard....  the first thing that I saw a few days ago was an incredible fight among about 8 or 10 rosellas.  Eventually I saw what they were fighting over....  a nest hole in a tree in my yard.  I hate to confess it,  but I had been considering cutting this tree down bevause it is hampering my efforts to grow fruit trees, but more of that later....  here is the red bird coming out of the nest hole...
 .... and going back in again.....
Today, a few days later, I went out to try to photograph the bird inside the hole looking out.  I waited and waited,  but eventually I saw another bird land near to the nest....  another rosella, and it sat there fluffing up its tail and "waggling" it near the nest... I don't speak "parrot", so I'm not sure of the significance,  but it was very interesting...
 Then this "cool dude" came and chased that other tail flutterer away....
 ... and eventually the other part of the pair came to checkout the nest hole....

All of this took some time, and so I was looking around at the graffiti on the fence.... I'd never noticed this sad face before (I have a lot of graffiti.... just lucky, I guess)
 ... and a signature that a number of people will recognise.....


Around the garden.... this flower is just coming out of the ground....
 .... and a tulip is flowering....
.... it must be spring.

No comments: