Saturday, 3 September 2011

Spring cleanup and planting potatoes

It's the first really warm day in the garden today, and being a weekend,  I have time to get some werious amounts of work done out there.  I cleaned up quite a bit of the spent plants and preparted the ground for the next plantings.  
While I was at it though, I found quite a few edible odds and ends.  I cut the good bits from plants as I pulled them out (the chickens have the rest) and found a few hidden treasures, including this mangel wurzel....
 .... the pencil is there to show its size.  I don't know how I didn't see this one previously!

I've planted four different kinds of potatoes.... three in these patches.....  another kind in a more shaded spot, just in case we have a really hot summer.    They'll be better shaded there, and while potatoes need plenty of sun, I also know that they can be killed by too much of it.   As I have commented previously,   I even grow winter potatoes in case of some warmish weather because the water demands are not such a probnlem in winter...
 .... I don't put all of my "eggs" in one basket!

The garlic is doing much better so far this year.....
 .... goat poo must be good for it!

Gertrude is down near the back fence.  She has even been eating grass today,  though she prefers shrubby stuff.  Here she is lying down on the top of a pile of weeds that are composting.....
 ....she often climbs up anything that's availaable (even chairs)...
 ... sort of like "queen of the castle"  I suppose.

This borage has come up by itself in recent weeks.  I've actually found several plants like this....
... I had kept seeds previously, and last year I threw some in amongst the "herb and flower" patch... and here they are coming up all over the place.  I'll be watching for flowers.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I just read a previous post about saving borage seed on your blog and I must thank you for posting great pics and such interesting information! I'm in Washington State and our season is winding down and it's time to start getting things squared away - your post helped me out immensely!

Jane said...

@ Lindsey Glad it was helpful. I'm learing more and more about saving seeds and the best thing is that the saved seeds seem to be best. The seeds that grow best and produce seeds are the best adapted to the garden... eventually the seeds that grow best are the local ones.