Sunday, 9 October 2011

Spring and the shortage of nesting holes...

I have just spent much of the day out in the garden (between watching bits and pieces of the Bathurst races) and it is beautiful out there.   The herb patch is flowering.....
 .. the broad beans are producing.....

....and the tomato plants are beginning to flower 9though you might have to enlarge htis one to wee the flowers.....
 ... baby cucumber plants in the ground.....
... an assortment of zucchini plants are doing well (and a few beans)....


However, there is drama out there. For the last two days I have a seen a galah at the nest hole in the gum tree....
 ....today I saw a pair hanging around for much of the day.....
I actually saw the pair of rosellas fly away.  They are very distinctive because one of them is so red, unlike the usual "Adelaidean" variety.   The "Adelaide" one has been back to the nest hole.....
 .... but then I spent a while watching this galah obviously finding something in there....  eggs?
Seeing this galah apparently feeding on something from the hole that I suspect might be eggs, I have to think that the reason for having such a deep hole (parrrots prefer a metre deep hole) is to prevent this sort of egg destruction.
Nest holes are definitely at a premium, and perhaps the more so this year after several neighbours have cut down big old trees in order to subdivide their yards or clear for an "English" style garden.  Any thought I had of cutting one of these trees down to allow fruit trees to grow is long gone.

No comments: