Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Fox in the hen house!

Yesterday morning, just as I was leaving for work, I went out to make sure that the chickens had enough food and water to last them until I arrived home to let them out to forage for a while.   I found a complete disaster.....
....ten dead chooks, but if you look carefully, you can see one nervous looking little bantam hen, apparently untouched.
This morning, I went out to survey the damage again, and there is one very sick looking black hen and two broody ones sitting on plastic eggs.  It looks awful out there.
This afternoon, after work, I'll make the more permanent repairs to the roof of the yard and I'll bury the bodies that are already attracting flies.

1 comment:

Meeka said...

That's terrible! Foxes are horrible thrill killing like that. Wouldn't be so bad if they just grabbed what they could eat and left the rest alive! Least you have some survivors left. Poor things! I dont envy you having to bury all of those chooks though, sounds like a big job. :(