Wednesday, 9 November 2011

repair and regroup

I had to go to work today, but when I came home, my first obligation was the hen house....  I took my hen house repair kit....
 ... and I made the repair to the spot that the fox had got in.  I have also done a few pre-emptive repairs to some other dodgy spots, though this is the repair that will foil that fox for the forseeable future....
 The chickens that remain are doing as well as could be expected....  here is the bantam (light coloured) and another reddish broody hen....
 .... the white (sussex?) broody hen.....
 .... and the sickly black one....
 She hasn't moved all day,  and if she was a mammal I would be thinking about euthanasia, but birds of all kinds (including chickens) seem to be differently wired.  I'll leave her for another day or so and see how she is.  Black Australorps are my favourites, and, while she's by no means a well bred chicken ( I raised her from an egg from a mottley crew)  I'll wait to see how she goes.

Meanwhile, out in the rest of the yard,  the irises are flowering....
 they are only "flag irises"  that grow wild along the roadways here (usually white or this colour purple) I like them very much.
 Gertrude is tethered near them,  though she can't get to them.....
...she is eating Watsonia plants that are close by.  The same buddha is just behing Gertie's head if you look carefully.

No comments: