Friday, 2 December 2011

Flowers, seeds and insects

This morning, when I was out in th garden early (before work) the air was heavy with perfume.  i took this photograph to add to my facebook page before I left for work.
 This afternoon, the same flowers look a little the worse for wear... no wind, gentle weatehr,  but the flowers don't last very long.
 The compensation is the next cactus flowers.....
 ... and these have come out during the day.

I went to check on the rest of the garden when I got home.   Someone asked me the other day what I do when plants go to seed.  In faact,  I do pull a few out,  but mostly I let them "do their thing" and this is the result....
 these are coriander seeds.  For a start, dried coriander seeds (like this) are very useful... they constitute much of the "volume" of the curry powder that you can buy.  This "fresh" version has much more flavour than the dried, ground version that you can buy.  As well as that,  I plant the seeds again to get more leafy coriander (cilantro/chinese parsley) and I am never short of any of these flavours... it's one of those flavours that either you love or hate (I love it) so I am pleased to have a constant supply.

I always let a few winter carrots "go to seed" as well... it is just at this time of the year that I am trying to encourage ladybirds and they love carrot flowers for their babies.... and love to eat aphids!   This lady bird is running around on a carrot flower....
 ... but the parsley flowers seem even more attractive.  Here are three on this flowerhead and I could have photographed any number of them today.

I also found this fly on another carrot flower...
...don't know what it is yet,  but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful... I assume it's "friendly" until I find out otherwise.  There seems to be an un-written rule that the adult insects that hang out on mature plants have babies that feed on the pests of the young/immature plants that I am in competition for...  the friends of my enemies are my friends.

1 comment:

Meeka said...

Gorgeous pics, and aren't the parsley flowers just so delicate and pretty! Loved the cactus flower shots.