Saturday, 31 December 2011

New Years Eve

I've been busy during Christmas....  though I hadn't realised that it's been so long since my last post.  Today is quite hot... close to 40C, and the garden is watered and protected from the sun.  It has "gone downhill" a bit during the past few weeks as, between work, minor and major crises in the family and the arrival of a temporary lodger with too much stuff, I have neglected some patches.

It's amazing to see how well the salvias are surviving. I have quite a collection from various countries where conditions can be equally hot and dry,  and I'll make a proper post about those shortly.

Meanwhile, Gertrude has been unwell.   I had only recently been admiring her wonderful general health, shown by her fat tummy and her amazingly shiny hair, when I noticed that one of her eyes had a red edge to it a couple of days ago.  Today, her pupil looked whitish though she didn't seem unduly fussed....
 ... during the hot days,  she has been in the shade and getting rid of feral olive branches.

The vet has been to visit, and there is nothung in her eye.  I'm assuming that she's scratched it or got something in it that is long gone.  The vet used some anaesthetic to poke around (while I held her back legs off the ground to reduce traction) and now she has some antibiotic cream in and around the eye....
... hard to see, but the white ring around her right eye is a good dose of medication.  I can't wait to have a go at putting some more in tomorrow morning...  it will be a great way to start the new year.

No comments: