Monday, 23 January 2012

summer evening on the verandah

Another row of hot dry days, and the garden is suffering.   The other issues that I've had to attend to mean that I've had little time to take care of any of it.   These things happen.  I will get back "on top of things" later.

This evening, as the sun is setting (8.30pm) I am sitting on the verandah feeling sorry for my garden if not myself, though there is little I can do until it rains again.

The view from the verandah is very dry.....   buddha is sometimes hidden by tall watsonia and weeds, but not now....
 The ground is dry, the bushes sparse and the trees are dropping their leaves as they do in the summer here....
 The wormwood is thinning, and the jade plant has dropped its leaves and those that remain are soft and wrinkly....


Gertrude has seen me photographing the yard, she has some kurrajong leaves and water, but would like some company.   The house behind her was not here when I moved in.  The previous owner built it and moved on, leaving me with neighbours who run the air conditioner at night in the summer and so opening my windows has become unpleasant, though it is the only means that I have for cooling my house.  I love it when the electricity is interrupted! Gertrude has cactus plants beside her pen and they are flowering now....
 ... as I took photographs, the bees were still attending the flowers....  I can see one in this photograph.   This is the perfume that I smelled in the night last night....  I don't suppose the airconditioned neighbours even know about the perfumed air around their house.
 The sun was setting as I photographed the front yard....
 ... and then I saw a troubled rosella... ready to fly......  and it went.....
 No wonder,  the galahs, en masse, arrived, noisy and arguing.....
 .... there are about 50 galahs that sleep in the gum trees in my yard.
 The sun is gone,  but the glow in the west remains with fiery colours iin the clouds, but still no rain.
The galah sounds have changed... still a few squawks,  but a few of the cooing contact calls as they settle into their positions for the night.

1 comment:

Meeka said...

Lovely pics as always :) the plants and I are cooking in Adelaide at the moment too, here's hoping a cool change comes through sooner rather than later.