Tuesday, 14 February 2012

It's been three weeks

Yes, it's been three weeks since I have made another post here... and that's after a couple of years of almost daily posting.  It has been a chaotic few months, mostly due to other peoples' issues,  not mine.   I'm not the only person that has had to deal with such things and, while it's quite a blow,  especially during the summer in Kapunda,  it is also an opportunity to re-think a few of the garden plots and re-organise....  a new beginning?

Today is the first day that I have had time to get out and do anything at all... since well before Christmas!  And there is plenty to do....

....  but first,  I always try to find something good before I start.  The saltbush is flowering and fruiting.  The birds love these, and so do I.... slightly salty,  but sweet too....

My cactus plant that I transferred from the side of the road has some new pads,   but it is also shrivelled a bit due to a serious lack of water.  So far this year we have had a bit more than 17mm....
Jan 7th   6.5 mm
Feb 5th  4 mm
Feb 6th 6 mm
Feb 7th  1 mm
TOTAL (so far)  17.5mm
 .... and event he cactus is looking dry.  


The pond is no longer leaking,  I think.  The level only drops on very hot dry days (and it can go down a few centimetres on those days, but then I think that we have about a metre of evaporation in 12 months here.)   Now that the level doesn't drop on overcast or damp days,  I will put some more plants in there to use up the fish fertiliser (produced by the goldfish) and reduce the algae.... it looks a bit yucky,  but the birds still love it.

And here is the spot that I have begin to clear the cactus from.... quite a bit still to go....
 .... it's a horrible job, and my fingers are still prickling from this morning's effort, but I think that if I put a "green bin" full out every second week for the next few pickups,  I can clear this spot.  it looks so much better in the bin.....

The rest of the yard is very dry.....
 ... and the summer vegetable patch is pitiful.....
... I only ever keep a small amount of the garden for the summer,  but this year, with all of the other issues I have had to manage,  I have left it alone.  Next pay day,  I will be buying gypsum and straw and beginning the resurrection.

I am sure that I'm not the first person to have been unble to keep up with the various demands over time,  but as I mentioned in the previous post, I wonder how people in the "olden days" managed when things weren't going smoothly, for I'm sure that family emergencies are not new.  I have the benefit of the local IGA and a dole payment, but there are plenty of people without that luxury.  It really does put things back into perspective!

No comments: