Thursday, 15 March 2012

Autumn crocus... and winter potatoes....

During the night (last night) we had a thunderstorm with plenty of wind and rain but no damage.  At Kapundagarden, we received 16mm of rain, making a total of 62mm so far this year.  This is a dry start to the year,  but the rain overnight has brought out the autumn crocusses....  there are two kinds in my garden....  yellow....
 .... and purple.....


This morning I planted some seedlings from the local nursery....  I usually try to grow my own,  but this year, after a very difficult summer (climate and family issues) I am happy to make use of my local business.  This is just one of a number of plants that I put into the ground this morning.  I had prepared the ground, double digging it over the last several days as the weather reports began to mention rain.  I was out there at about 7.00 am this morning digging the
top layer, disappointed to have the dust blow away from each fork full.

I planted the seedlings... this one is kale.... and watered them in very well...  a few more to go.


The little bit of rain has caused the potatoes to emerge as well....
.... and as I have said before,  potatoes do not grow here in summer,  but these were seed potatoes that I could only buy in the early spring... at about August.  They died off as soon as the rain stopped, but are now re-emerging (as potatos have done in other years) and I will get a fair crop early in the winter....  I just wish that the planting schedules in the various magazines and gardening books would find out what is happening in the real world.  Meanwhile, I will grow my potatoes in the winter.

1 comment:

Meeka said...

Love your blog, always informative and interesting, with the added bonus of cool photos. :) My red russian Kale seedlings got eaten by my pet bunny. Luckily I sowed two lots. I discovered mangel wurzel as a result of finding your blog a while back, and my spring sown plants are now getting big, can't wait to try them for the first time when they're ready. Cheers! :)