Monday, 12 March 2012

Blood lilies and honeyeaters

This morning I found the first of the blood lilies in the front garden.  They have appeared suddenly, as usual, and this time after the first rainfall that is associated with cool nights.  I don't know what triggers them, but they seem to know when to appear.  It was March last year that I found them though those particular ones (in the link) are not the same plants as I've seen today,  and in fact, those are not up yet.  Perhaps there is a different micro climate out there. This morning I found these....
 .... the flowers are beautiful, but apparently full of nectar also,  as the honey eaters love them.


 I sat and waited for one of the New Holland honeyeaters to come to these flowers that are out in the open and easy to photograph....  I could see them among the bushy patches..... you'll have to look carefully.
 There was even a red wattle bird (these are also a kind of honeyeater)....
 ... a grey thrush turned up near the flowers that would be the easiest to photograph.....
 ... and a white plumed honeyeater....
 ... easier to see in the sunlight....

and eventually a New Holland honeyeater ventured down.....
 .... and even posed on this flower for me....
 Then he/she flew closer to me and fed on the eremophila flowers just here.....



Still no rain,  and the garden is moveing very slowly,  but the birds are enjoying the sunshine and warmth, I am sure.

No comments: