Friday, 20 April 2012

Birds, trees and my garden

This morning there has been a huge flock of corellas flying around the town.  There are always a few,  and I am aware of their plague proportions in farmers' fields as grain crops are being sown.  I understand the damage that a large flock of birds can do...  it's reminiscent of the bat colonies near fruit crops in other places that I've lived.  I am also aware that the populations of some species have been able to increase as their food supplies became easier... something like humans who have done much the same thing.

As I watered the tiny vegetables this morning though, I heard a chainsaw whining away.  There's been a lot of that lately.  Neighbours have cut most of the large trees in this area... some for houses, and some just to have a tidy yard with no leaves on the pathways.

I have a self seeded redgum that has planted itself on the other side of my vegetables...
 ... it's that little white truncked tree in the middle of that photograph.
Its parents are here too.....  preventing any fruit trees from getting a "foothold" in my yard.  Large trees are greedy for water.  I can grow vegetables, but not fruit trees.
Some of the other trees in the yard have become nesting spots for parrots....  this photograph was taken a few months ago....
... and I can't help but think that the loss of all of this will be a disaster in the long run.  I'm sure that this has already happened in the city (Adelaide) and it is sad that the "city folk" who are moving here are making the same mistake.  Once all of this is gone, it can't be re-invented.  "Re-vegetation" in city areas does not return the land to what it used to be...  it's probably more like a zoo or a park.  I find it sad, and can only imagine how sad Chief Seathle must have been when he made his speech (this is the oldest version, written from notes taken at the time, though Seathle didn't speak English and the speech was translated through two languages at the time, apparently.)

In looking up the speech again,  I couldn't help but be impressed with this statement....
"Tribe follows tribe, and nation follows nation, like the waves of the sea. It is the order of nature, and regret is useless. Your time of decay may be distant, but it will surely come, for even the White Man whose God walked and talked with him as friend to friend, cannot be exempt from the common destiny. We may be brothers after all."
.... and wonder how long "our tribe" will ride this current wave.

This too....
"At night when the streets of your cities and villages are silent and you think them deserted, they will throng with the returning hosts that once filled them and still love this beautiful land. The White Man will never be alone.
Let him be just and deal kindly with my people, for the dead are not powerless.  Dead, did I say? There is no death, only a change of worlds."
... sounds more like a Buddhist text, but it makes me wonder when our civilisation will grow up, metaphorically speaking.

2 comments:

Meeka said...

Loved the quotes in this post, and that you have such respect for the trees around you. xo

Jane said...

Not only the trees, but the whole environment, I suppose... and in that I include myself. People are a part of the whole also, and may be damaging themselves as they treat the environment with such disdain.