Friday, 20 April 2012

"Indian" summer

There's been a lapse in blog posts after some local, personal issues but I seem to have resolved most of it and I'm back on track and enjoying the Indian summer, though we don't seem to have had the suggested frost, or in fact any cold weather at all.  Not only have we had hot weather, but it has been very very dry... very little rain for about five months now.  In my last post, I had actually planted some seedlings in the closest kitchen garden,   hoping for some rain.  Well,  there's been no rain at all, but with some water from the tanks, the vegetables are growing well....
 ... these are the baby broccoli plants that I have been watching for the past few weeks.  The broccoli box contains some seeds that should sprout also.  It has been covered with the refrigerator shelf since I found one baby plant pulled out by one of the birds.   I love the birds.  I can watch them from the kitchen window.... picking the green cabbage moth grubs that infest the brassicas.  Saves me the job!

At the same time, I planted some seeds... five rows.....
 ... from the left hand side:

  •  mangel worzel and sugar beet 
  • swedes (rutabaga), 
  • golden beetroot, 
  • ordinary (red) beetroot, 
  • and carrots. 
In the lower rhs are some baby celery plants.  They seem to be doing well, despite the hot dry weather.  I have been watering them daily, and the days are getting shorter, so I think they should survive.

Across the pathway is this patch of potatoes.....
... these are all plants that "grew" in the potato storage box, and mostly came from the garden originally.   It has meant that the chickens have been confined to their quarters for a while, though once the plants are big enough they will be allowed out to remove any insect pests... that's their job.  The potatoes are near the pond this year, and that was planned.  As I have said previously, I grow potatoes during the "wrong" season, because the summers are jut too hot and dry to produce many decent tubers.  I am able to dig plenty of potatoes that are grown during the winter,  but the hazard at that time is the occasional frost.  Potatoes are very susceptible to even a mild frost and will die off immediately when "hit" by one.   I am hoping that the water will modify the climate in this little area...  there are trees around and it ahs always been one of the least frost effected spots in the yard....  it will be interesting to see how this proceeds this year.


No comments: