Saturday, 21 July 2012

Reading the menu

Today I was away during the day, and arrived home wondering what to do about dinner.  Of course I went out to check on the garden....
... where to begin....  all kinds of baby root vegetables, and then I saw this cabbage....
... this is one that was looking a bit dodgy a few weeks ago (the aphids had invaded) and the outer leaves look a bit messy but the actual cabbage is beautiful (there are a few like this)....

Wandering around the yard, I found a few interesting bits and pieces...  the rocket is flowering... so beautiful...
 .... rosemary flowers...
 ...jonquils....  these are everywhere....
 ...and the oldest surviving parsley plants are flowering very early!   Parsley usually "goes to seed" late in the summer,  but some seem to last until the following spring.
 I think that I'll try keeping these seeds separate and see whether they continue to produce late into the summer (rather than running to seed when I'd still like to have some parsley.)  Parsley is one of those plants that is only supposed to "run to seed" in its second year, but I'm not sure about these... I'll check it out.

... and this is the lovely broad bean flower...
... completely "out" and looking good.

No comments: