Friday, 10 August 2012

Life goes on...

It's been a week since I checked out what the garden is doing...  I've been busy, but at this time of the year,  the soil is cold and so everything is growing slowly (though the weeds don't seem too hindered by that cold.)  After the first few sunny and warm days (promising spring) I have been out to check for baby broad beans.  Nothing yet, but the bees are hard at work...
 .....  I'll continue to check for baby beans.

The current row of carrots are looking healthy...  this row is where I pulled the most recent food from, thinning the crop and eating them sequentially....
I prefer them to mature over a period of time,  unlike the crops on farms where the whole lot is removed at the same time.  This means that "thinning" the plants is an ongoing duty, and in the first "pass" I leave them much closer than the instructions would indicate.  As I gradually remove the biggest ones,  there is room for the neighbours to enlarge.

And the next row is coming on....
 I have also planted some more carrot seeds today.  As I have said previously,  it is necessary to continue planting every week if one wants to eat throughout the year.  While the soil is so cold,  it will take quite a while for  these to germinate,   but I find it easier to manage the baby plants at this time of the year than in the summer when the soil is so hot and tiny plants dry out so fast.  Carrots are "easily pleased" and don't seem to have difficult requirements aside from keeping them damp 24/7 until the tap root gets long enough to find deeper water.

The leeks look lovely in the morning sunlight....
 ...  they are big enough to eat,  though I'll wait for them to get fatter before I roast any.

The recent broccoli plants have all had their main heads cut by now.....
 ... I have given quite a few of the remaining plants to the chickens (they love them) though I'll leave several of them to produce side shoots like these....
 (these are the side shoots that I am still picking, on plants that are about a year old.)

The next "real" broccoli is coming along as well.....
 ....  and the "secondary plants" that I rescued from the punnet of seedlings (bought at Mildred Heights Nursery) are just looking healthy too.  These were the "second seedlings" that ended up with the least roots when separated from the main plant.  I halved all of their leaves, soaked thenm is seasol,  and put them back into the punnet for another few weeks.  They are now planted out and looking perfect, if a bit immature when compared with the "main plants."


The flowering cabbage continues to develope....
 ....  I am going to leave this plant to produce flowers.  I won't use the seeds (they may well produce progeny that bolt to seed rather than providing me with cabbages) but as flowers often attract insects that are useful, and often the particular species that preys on pests of the same plant (evolution works wonders) and I'll be watching carefully to see what happens.

I still have several lovely cabbages to eat....
with no sign of bolting.... and they are so sweet when they are just cut... well worth growing, in my opinion.

This morning I found a snowdrop....
... I have always had a few in the garden, but I hadn't been able to find any flowers this year...  until now!  And it's in a different place from where I had seen them last year!  Wierd.

No comments: