Thursday, 23 August 2012

Red Wattlebird (Anthochaera carunculata)

The big red aloe flowers are beautiful and all of the honeyeaters are out and about, looking for nectar.

Nowadays my desk faces out onto a lovely patch of aloe flowers and so I am treated to the honeyeater floorshow daily.  The most aggressive species of honeyeaters still seems to be the New Hollands, and they are able to chase the much bigger wattlebirds away, it seems.  The funniest have to be the Red Wattlebirds.  My photographs are taken while sitting at my desk and though the glass of the window....




The photographs aren't the best,  but you can get the idea.... these birds are very funny to watch.  The Wattlebirds make the most raucus noise all year round.  They live here all of the time,  but it is when they do their gymnastics to retrieve the nectar from these flowers that I appreciate them the most.

No comments: