Saturday, 15 September 2012

Broad beans to eat...

I have been in Tanunda today, about 30 km from Kapunda and I've been minding the Gallery and the latest exhibition.  I am usually there on a Saturday when the workers are there at the organ and today was  not exception.  As work progresses,  it is wonderful to hear the impromptu playing of various pieces... it feels quite luxurious...  like a lovely private concert.

Getting home late, I have exercised the dog (throwing the ball and having her chase it around the yard while I check out the vegetables and their progress) and I have lit the fire before even deciding how to deal with dinner tonight.

While Ebony chased the ball,  I picked some of the crops and the highlight was the first little taste of broad beans for the season...

... here is today's collection, from the right hand side...  broccoli, broad beans, leeks, beetroot and fennel.  I brought the fennel in because I have some fish and I will steam it with that fennel.  The broad beans are still tiny and I'll cook them whole with the other vegetables.  

I went to check in the artichokes and the first one is just beginning to appear...
... it will be a while yet for the beans to be big enough to shell for their little beans and have those with fresh artichoke hearts.
It is interesting to realise that there are a number of traditional mediterranean recipes with this combination of ingredients.... Greek, Syrian, Italian, and many more.  I have mentioned this previously and the fact that traditional recipes, quite naturally, combine ingredients that are available together in the garden.  More than eating "in season", there  are whole cuisines that have been dependent upon concurrent availability of ingredients and we seem to have lost these little joys along with the blurring of availabililty of our seasonal crops.  In the same way that the joy of "Christmas" cherries or "new season" apples has been lost, so has the understanding of ingredients and their appearance in the garden at the same time, and I think that there is a loss of a particular thrill.  
I am still waiting for the artichokes and big enough broad beans to make some of my own favourite dishes.

2 comments:

Meeka said...

Great to see you have beans ready.
I planted my broad bean seeds around the same week as you, but sadly I have yet to find any broad beans on mine. Either the snails ate them or they just haven't grown yet. Hmm. I tried an heirloom crimson flowering variety this year and there are alot of beautiful flowers that smell amazing but so far no beans!

Jane said...

It's interesting that you should comment on the red flowering broad beans. I planted both kinds a few years back, and I remember that the red ones produced less beans, and later...though I did like the flowers! I haven't had any for a couple of years now. I usually save my own seeds so I get much more of the white flowering (aquadulce) beans to re-plant as well.
The beans will grow from the flowers after the petals wilt. Keep watching.