Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Eggs

I have chickens and I collect eggs daily...
... in fact, I have had more chickens (until the fox killed 10 of them on one night) but now it is just four.
Two of them are old bantams that must be at least 8 or 9 years old.  They don't lay any eggs any more,  but then they don't eat much either and they still produce fertiliser for the garden.  The other two that also survived the fox attack, are both relatively young and lay more or less daily.  That means that I get two eggs each day... more than I need, but plenty for those weeks when the money supply is running low.

I used to sell eggs when I had more chickens,  but it isn't really worth it now.  My two eggs per day are plenty for me and I should add that my puppy (who is mostly fed on commercial dog food and the remnants of some roosters) has a glossy coat since having some extra eggs in her diet.

There are vegans who criticise my use of these animal products and I can understand their view.  However,  I wonder what they would do with the infertile eggs that are left lying around the chicken coop.  It seems such a waste not to make use of them.  I make these eggs into noodles, omelettes, quiches, frittatas and more...  and when I have still more eggs left over,  (I don't eat two whole eggs per day) my dog has a bonus with her breakfast.  Her coat is very shiny.

I collect the chook poo from under the perch where the various chickens spend the night. I use the poo to make liquid fertiliser for the vegetable patch and I clear the straw, laced with more chook poo, for the fallow garden patches.  This is the only cost effective way that I can return material to the soil as I remove it in the guise of vegetables assembled by solar energy.  I begrudge the sewer system all and any of the best material that it removes from my yard and that's another story, but I'm grateful for the chickens that replace so much of it from their meagre diet of grain, scratchings and left over greens from the garden.
Until we assimilate the knowledge that "you can't get something for nothing" and that we live on a finite planet   This leads to the fact that we have to re-cycle not just our plastic/oil-based/mineral materials in the yellow topped council bin every fortnight,  but our nutrients, particularly phosphate, as well and there doesn't seem to be much hope for our particular species on this tiny blue planet in this solar system on an outer spiral of a remote little galaxy in the universe until we do.... makes you feel insignificant, doesn't it  :-)

No comments: