Thursday, 20 September 2012

Perfumed air and baby sage plants

In recent days there has been an incredible perfume in the back yard...  the perfume reminds me of sweet peas, except that I don't have any sweet peas!
Eventually I tracked the source....
 ... this tree grows near the pond behind the house.  It used to overhang the pond until an over zealous boarder decided to prune it.  It is very slow growing, and it will take a long time to recover,  but I'll keep an eye on it when anyone with clippers is around from now on.

 Closer, I can see the flowers... very tiny and apparently insignificant, but the perfume is beautiful....
 ... and there are many of them.
 I don't know what the tree is,  but I love the perfume and I'm wondering whether it might grow from cuttings.

A number of the salvias are flowering, or about to flower.....
 .... this one is a Californian sage bush.  I think that it is grey sage.
I pruned this bush last year after it had finished flowering and I stuck a number of the pieces into a pot.  By now, several of them seem to be growing....
.... and perhaps I'll have quite a few more plants to transplant next autumn.

No comments: